Wednesday, February 13, 2013

History in Reverse

Typically when we tell a persons life story we begin with their birth and press forward from there to their burial and reading of their will if there was one.  Not so in genealogical research.  The rule of thumb is to search for the most recent event, document it as best one can and move backward to their birth.  The more recent records are usually easier to find.

While scanning the many papers I received several years ago from my dad I found a photo copy of Grandmother's hand written  will.  I have it posted here.  I have not been able to acquire her probate records to know if this will was her last and how it was settled but when I do I'll post it.




            This is the transcription of her will:

                                                                                                                        Ten Sleep,Wyoming
                                                                                                                        May 26, 1968


I, Edna L Greet, a resident of Washakie County, Wyoming, here by make this my will, replacing any previous will I may have made. I am a widow.  I was married to Frank Greet on Feb. 5, 1913, and remained his wife until his death on May 22, 1967.  I have six children, at present all living:  (here she names all of her children with the daughters’ married names).

It is my intention to dispose of all property in my possession at the time of my death.  I reserve the right to sell or give away anything I now possess as long as I live.

I give what household furniture and furnishings, books, clothing, paintings and anything else of a personal nature to my children, or their descendants if any are deceased, who survive me as they shall agree.

In as much as my son, James E. Greet, worked with his brothers, on the ranch now owned by Greet Brothers, Incorporated, until the condition of his back made it wise for him to seek a living elsewhere, and since at present he does not own any shares in said corporation, I give whatever shares I own at the time of my death to him.

Whatever balance is in my checking account and whatever cash or traveler’s checks I may have on hand at the time of my death shall be added to my savings account.  Any debts I may owe at the time of my death and any funeral expenses shall be paid from this sum, excepting what may be covered by Medicare or other insurances.  What is left of this sum shall be divided as follows:
  1. 10 percent to the Wyoming Conference of Seventh Day Adventists to be used for its religious, educational and charitable work.
  2.   Forty percent to be divided equally between my four sons: (here she names her sons.)
  3.   Twenty-five percent to my daughter  (here she names her daughter)
  4.   Twenty-five percent to my daughter  (here she names her daughter)

I authorize the executor of this will to sell, lease, mortgage or deal with as I might if living, any real estate or other property I might own at the time of my death not otherwise mentioned in this will, without obtaining any previous order of the court, but subject to confirmation by the court. Any money realized from such transactions shall be divided equally between my six children or their survivors if any of them are deceased.

I appoint my son (she names him here) as executor of this will (word is missing) serve without bond.

If for any reason (missing word) is unable to serve I nominate my son (named here) as alternate to serve without bond.

                                          E…..a L Greet
                                         May 26, 1968



The Ten Sleep, Wyoming cemetery conains a wealth of information this is the link:  http://tensleepcemetery.com  

I believe our cousin Fred has worked on this site contributing life stories and obituaries of Greet and Pyle family member buried there. Thank you Fred.  This site contains a wealth of information for many of our family members including, (where available) a photograph of the headstone; a life story; obituary; and any other bits of biographical information.  The site is easily navigated.




I have requested the death certificates for Frank and Edna and am just waiting for them to arrive.

I asked my dad about what caused Edna's death.  He said, "I think it was a broken heart.  She just missed Grandpa so much."

I have not yet located Frank's will or probate records.  If any of you have them please send me a copy for posting.

That is all for this morning.  Have a great day cousins.




No comments:

Post a Comment